Benefits of a correct fit
A correctly fitted breastshield avoids compression of any milk ducts during pumping to ensure optimal breast emptying and maximum milk output. This will help a mother to maintain her milk production and support her lactation.
Criteria of a correct fit
With the following checklist a mother can easily check if she is using the right breastshield size:
1. Center the nipple in the breastshield tunnel.
2. Turn on the pump and check the following points:
- Is her nipple moving freely in the tunnel?
- Is minimal or no areolar tissue being pulled into the tunnel of the breastshield?
- Does she see a gentle, rhythmical motion in the breast with each cycle of the pump?
- Does she feel the breast emptying all over?
- Is her nipple pain-free?